Table of Contents
Install/Verify Java (macOS)
You will need Java installed if you want to:
- Run the 'Universal Jar' Fabric Installer
- Install a Fabric server. CLI guide available
- Run Minecraft in MultiMC or Prism Launcher
- Run ATLauncher or Technic Launcher
- Change the default “JAVA EXECUTABLE” to other than the bundled Java runtime in a Minecraft Launcher “Installation”
Install Homebrew if it is not installed already:
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
Then, install the latest version of Java:
brew install openjdk
STEP 1: Verify if Java is already installed
Some macs do not ship java by default, and you will be prompted to install it from java.com. You can ignore it and continue to the next step.
STEP 2: Uninstall previous Java versions
This process is not necessary, but if you would like to uninstall an older version of java that came with your mac, for example, Java 5 or 6, you can use the Java Uninstall Tool provided by Oracle to help uninstall them.
STEP 3: Install Java
To download the Java installer, go here
Click on the Continue button until you reach the Installation Type page. Here, you can change the installation disk. It is recommended to install java on the same disk as your operating system.